Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sunday Best Shopping Excursion...You Won’t Believe Where!

When was the last time you were at Costco? Its been years and years since I went, but a tip from a friend sent me back. Apparently, Costco is one of the few places one can find “prime” meat. In preparation for my annual holiday party I went in search of beef tenderloins. What I found was a series of boutique counters within the gargantuan warehouse. There were sausage tastings and seafood so fresh the crabs’ claws were still moving! The bakery put out muffins and croissants, and the gourmet cheese counter was to die for. Costco made me forget I could also buy a pallet of swivel office chairs and a corrugated shed while I was still in foodie heaven.

Just look at the crabs I was talking about!

Look at the meat!

And look at all those little white crockpots full of surprisingly high end nibbles.

Costco is Perfect for Big Party Prep, and that’s why it gets my “Sunday Best” Seal

What I loved the best is that Costco has changed their packaging. When I used to go, I would buy bulk poultry and beef, and then come home and spend another hour or so packaging them into smaller portions for the freezer. This warehouse retailer has figured it out.  You can still buy 18 chicken thighs, but they come in 6 different packages all bundled together. It’s wonderful!

Yes, there are still long lines at the checkout counter, but the packagers are friendly and helpful. Luckily, I was on a schedule, or I would have spent the entire day shopping at Costco. I’m back home now, and getting ready to start preparing for my party. Here’s a sneak peek at the menu and a link to the item that I think will be my guests’ favorite: Chipotle Spiced Candied Bacon.

Mayan (Mexican Celebration for 40 guests) I had a little bit of fun with all the end of the world talk this December!
                                                                   
Christmas 2012 

Appetizers

Merry Berry Margaritas
Chipotle Spiced Candied Bacon
Chorizo Hogs in a Blanket
Grilled Shrimp Mini-Tacos
Taco ‘Shrooms
Five Layer Mexican Dip n Chips
Ham and Potato Chip Tortilla

Supper

Latin Spiced Tenderloin Sliders
Chipotle Chicken Thighs
Pescado a la Veracruzana
Veggie Enchiladas with Mole Sauce
Chopped Salad with Peppery Thousand Island Dressing
Spanish Rice and Sherried Black Beans
Creamy Corn Bread

Desserts

Cinnamon Pound Cake with Sangria Spiked Cherries and Lime Sorbet
Pumpkin Tres Leche Cake
Chocolate Chipotle Brownies
Salted Caramel Brownies
Pumpkin Flan
Mexican Coffee

Sunday is the day for food exploration—it’s also a golden standard; if I wouldn’t serve it Sunday, chances are I won’t serve it at all. Sunday is also the day for Sunday excursions – afternoons spent strolling through markets, galleries,  and country fairs. The next time you are looking for a eye-opening food experience – check out Costco.

I look forward to raising my glass with you and toasting to a 2013 that’s filled with Sunday Best dishes. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails