Saturday, December 10, 2011
Great Big Ginger Cookies
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup margarine (1 ½ sticks) room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a bowl.
2. Use an electric mixer to combine the margarine and 1 cup sugar until fluffy.
3. Add the egg and stir.
4. Add the molasses and stir.
5. Add in the flour mixture in 3 additions.
6. Use a tablespoon to portion out the dough. Roll into 2 inch balls.
7. Roll the balls in granulated sugar.
8. Place onto a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat liner.
9. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are puffed and beginning to turn light brown on the edges.
10. Place the cookie sheet on a cooking rack. Place 1 to 2 raisins in the center of each cookie.
11. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for several minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Yield 2 dozen cookies
Preparation Time: 20 minutes plus baking