Thursday, April 7, 2011
Chocolate, Banana and Walnut Trifle
Servings: 10 to 12
Preparation Time: 1 hour
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 cups cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
4 ripe bananas, sliced (about 2 cups)
¼ cup Kahlua liquor
2 cups cream
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
1 (15-ounce) angel food cake, cut into large chunks
2 (1.4-ounce) Heath bars, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup walnut pieces
1. Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, salt and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until smooth.
2. Stir in 2 cups cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the vanilla, then chocolate, and stir until smooth.
4. Pour the pudding into a bowl. Whisk in the butter. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until set, about 1 hour.
5. Toss the bananas with the Kahlua in a small bowl. Set aside.
6. Use an electric mixer to whisk 2 cups cream with confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
7. Toss the angel food cake cubes with the chopped Heath bar in a bowl. Set aside.
8. Heat 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, in a skillet, over medium high heat. Add the walnut pieces. Toss to coat. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
9. Assemble the trifle by placing a layer of the angel food cake and candy on the bottom of a trifle dish or deep, crystal bowl. Top with a layer of bananas. Add a layer of whipped cream. Continue layering until all of the ingredients have been used.
10. Top the trifle with the candied walnuts. Chill for 1 hour or overnight.