Serves 6 to 8
Preparation Time: About 30 minutes, plus baking
1 medium onion, diced, about ½ cup
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound ground veal
1 to 11/2 cups bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon tomato paste
¼ to ½ cup cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ pound button mushrooms, sliced (about 1 ½ cups)
½ cup red wine
1 ½ cups beef stock
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour mixed with ½ to 1 cup cold water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. In a skillet cook the diced onion in the olive oil until the pieces begin to brown.
2. In a large bowl combine the ground beef, ground veal, sautéed onion, fresh bread crumbs, minced garlic, chili powder, fresh herbs, beaten egg and tomato paste.
3. Add just enough cream to the mixture so that it comes together. Season the ingredients with salt and freshly ground pepper .
4. Form the mixture into a loaf and place into a 9X5X3 inch loaf pan coated in vegetable oil spray.
5. Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let sit for 15 minutes before slicing.
6. In a small skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for several minutes.
7. Pour the red wine into the pan and reduce until most of the liquid is evaporated.
8. Whisk together the flour and water to form a smooth liquid.
9. Stir the flour mixture into the gravy. It will thicken as it cooks. You may add more water until you reach the desired consistency for gravy. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.